When you wonder how many writers are at work in America a few minutes and read this December 2013 article written by Dominic Smith and published by MM The Millions.
The following are a few statistics in his article.
- 2012 fiction books published with an ISBN: adult fiction 67,254; YYA and juvenile fiction 20,339
- 2011 books published: traditionally published 347,178; self-published 235,000
- 76 percent of all books released in 2008 were self-published
- Roughly 50 percent of all fiction published (traditional or self-published) is a romance, mystery, sci-fi, or fantasy story
- Approximately 185 U.S. institutions granting MFAs in fiction
- 600-700 books received weekly by LA Times for review consideration
- 197,768 self-reporting writers in 2009
- 39 percent increase between 1990 and 2005 in the number of writers and authors.